November 2020 Project Update
Cleanup activities have been completed at the Larkspur Landing former treatment plant site, as required by the U.S. EPA. Now that the cleanup project is wrapping up, the District is embarking on the next phase of the property disposition.
The District selected Century Urban to provide real estate consultant services to help develop a schedule and plan to engage the public and the City of Larkspur about this unique site which is located across the street from Marin Country Mart and near the Larkspur Ferry Terminal and Larkspur SMART station.
Ross Valley Sanitary District (RVSD) began clean up its 10.7-acre former wastewater treatment plant site at 2000 Larkspur Landing Circle in summer 2019 and completed the work on September 9, 2020. The property contained trace concentrations of polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) which was present in some of the paint that was applied to the concrete administration buildings. The concrete of the former plant was crushed and used as backfill back in 1999.
In March 2019, US EPA approved the remedial action plan to safely remove and dispose of this material, and in May 2019, RVSD selected a contractor to conduct the cleanup work. Site cleanup consisted of removal of about 64,000 tons of soil and demolition debris to a municipal landfill and removal of about 2,600 tons to a hazardous waste landfill. The site has been cleaned to the cleanest levels that enable unrestricted use of the property. Excavated areas have been back-filled with clean soil, with topsoil and hydro seeding.
The cost of construction, engineering and permitting for this cleanup has been approximately $9.5M since 2018, and $10M in total. RVSD will submit the final site cleanup completion report to U.S. EPA for their acceptance.
Click here to see the Larkspur Landing Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).
Click here to see the Larkspur Landing Project Information Sheet.
We continue the public process of discussing the disposition of the Larkspur Landing property at a Special Board Meeting on Thursday, December 3 at 4 p.m. via GoToMeeting. This will be the second Informational Presentation (II) focusing on Current Land Use Entitlements and the Larkspur General Plan Update. The first public Informational Presentation occurred on September 30, 2020 and focused on potential Transaction Structures (i.e., lease, sale, or joint venture development).
Click here to see the first Informational Presentation given on September 30. Click here to see a video of the presentation. Future informational presentations will include the state's Surplus Lands Act and how it affects the property's disposition.
We encourage our ratepayers to track and participate in this discussion as the Board weighs alternatives, and we will keep you informed about additional opportunities to provide input.
Larkspur Landing Documents
Click on the individual links below.
- U.S. EPA Conditional Approval of Remediation of 2000 Larkspur Landing (March 15, 2019) (PDF)
- Updated Application to EPA for Remediation (February 20, 2018) (PDF)
- U.S Army Corps of Engineers Wetlands Delineation (August 31, 2017) (PDF)
- Final Initial Study/Mitigated Negative Declaration (adopted June 21, 2017) (PDF)
- Draft Initial Study/Mitigated Negative Declaration (April 14, 2017) (PDF)
- Work Plan, Cost Estimate and Implementation Presentation (March 2017) (PDF)
- Site Characterization Work Plan (September 2016) (PDF)
- Overview of Remediation Work Plan (August 17, 2016) (PDF)
- US EPA Approval for Site Remediation Progress Update (March 16, 2016) (PDF)
- EPA Conditional Approval Letter (November 12, 2014) (PDF)
- Draft District Work Plan to EPA (November 9, 2014) (PDF)
- District Phase 1 Application (July 24, 2014) (PDF)
- District General Plan Amendment Withdrawal Letter (July 18, 2013) (PDF)
- Larkspur Response to General Plan Amendment
- District General Plan Amendment to Larkspur Document (May 10, 2012) (PDF)
- District General Plan Amendment to Larkspur Site Plan (May 10, 2012) (PDF)
- Office and Corp Yard Property Mgmt Study (Forsher + Guthrie, 2011) (PDF)
- 2011 Settlement Agreement (PDF)
- 2009 Campus St. James Larkspur LLC Complaint (PDF)
- 2006 Amendment to Option Agreement and Purchase Agreement (PDF)
- 1999 Option Agreement (PDF)