Grant & Loan Programs

The District has grant and loan funding available to property owners who require private sewer lateral replacement. Prior to performing sewer work, property owners must review both programs; Individuals can only apply for one program. Please note the application process differs. 

See below for more information.

  1.  Grants 
  2. Loans
  3. Eligibility
  4. HOA Eligibility

The District adopted Resolution No. 21-1608, amending the framework and guidelines for the Lateral Replacement Grant Program to assist ratepayers with the cost of replacing their private sewer laterals. Click the link to read Resolution No. 21-1608.

Grant Funding

The District provides individual grants of up to $1,500.

The following scenarios may qualify a property to receive $2,500:
Properties in high inflow & infiltration basins predetermined by the District.
Properties affected by upcoming municipal paving projects or a road moratorium.
Check with your local municipality to determine if your street is scheduled for paving or was recently paved.

Once your project is complete, follow the steps below.

How to Apply:

Submit the following items:

  1. Grant Program Application. Click the link to download.
  2. Paid-in-full invoice from your licensed contractor.
  3. ACH Payment Authorization Form.
  4. Completed W-9 Form. (HOAs with a Taxpayer Identification Number do not require a W-9).
    W9 forms are used to request the tax id of the individual for any award above $600. The District will email 1099 forms to grant fund recipients by January 31 of the following year.

How to Submit:

Completed applications can be emailed to Administrative Staff or submitted (mail or drop off) to our office location, 2960 Kerner Blvd, San Rafael, CA 94901. All applications must be received within 180 days from the final inspection date. Applications received after the 180-day deadline are ineligible for funding. This deadline is firm.

Questions about permits? View our Permits page by clicking the link.