Certificate of Compliance - Property Sale

Guidelines for Compliance

Please see the guidelines below regarding how to receive a Certificate of Compliance when buying or selling a property. If you believe your property already has a Certificate of Compliance on file, please contact Ross Valley Sanitary District (Ross Valley Sanitary District) at 415-259-2949 or via email.

Obtain a Certificate of Compliance before close of escrow by fixing the Private Sewer Lateral, if necessary, and then having an Ross Valley Sanitary District Inspector witness the pressure test (using air or water). The buyer and seller will negotiate who will obtain the Certificate of Compliance. 

Step 1. Determine if the Existing Private Sewer Lateral is Eligible for Exemption

If the Private Sewer Lateral was constructed or fully replaced and passed final inspection by a District Inspector within the last 20 years, the Private Sewer Lateral will be exempt from the pressure test. To determine if your lateral is exempt, please contact the District at 415-259-2949 or contact us. Please be sure to include your name, contact information, full address of the property in question, parcel number (if available), and any information you may have that would lead you to believe the property may be exempt. All of this information will help us when reviewing the District's records. If the District is unable to provide an immediate answer, one will be provided within 2 business days.

Step 2. Determine if the Existing Private Sewer Lateral is in Compliance

Determine if the existing Private Sewer Lateral meets the requirements of the Ordinance (PDF). Hire a plumbing contractor to check for leaks and other defects. Your contractor will advise you if work is needed for your Private Sewer Lateral to pass the pressure test. If not work is required, proceed to Step 5 below.


During the installation of new gas lines by Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E), some private sewer laterals may have been pierced or completely bored through - known as a cross bore. Underground Service Alert does not typically mark private sewer laterals and as a result, cross bores may go undetected, and if damaged create a potentially hazardous situation. For gas line cross bore information, visit PG&E's website. A review of a closed-circuit television (CCTV) inspection should also include looking for evidence of cross bore. If you suspect a gas line cross bore, call PG&E at 800-743-5000. If you suspect a gas leak, warn inhabitants, evacuate the area and call 911 and PG&E at 800-743-5000.

Step 3. Obtain Required Permits

The District requires permits to be pulled for any Private Sewer Lateral work. Permits should be obtained prior to beginning any work. Additionally, other agencies may require permits for the work being performed. Please contact your local building department to determine if they require permits for any portion of the work related to the Private Sewer Lateral.

Step 4. Repair or Replace the Private Sewer Lateral

Your contractor will repair or replace the Private Sewer Lateral in accordance with the District standards and permitting requirements and other local agency requirements. If full replacement is needed, you may qualify for financial assistance through Ross Valley Sanitary District's Lateral Replacement Program.

Step 5. Schedule a Private Sewer Lateral Pressure Test

Your contractor should contact the District at 415-259-2949 to schedule an appointment for a District Inspector to conduct a Private Sewer Lateral pressure check or final inspection, if related to a repair or replacement permit. The Inspector will witness the pressure test that will be performed by the contractor and pay the required inspection fee. It is likely that your contractor will make the arrangements in scheduling with the District. This will be included as part of the final inspection if this is being done as part of a repair or replacement permit.

Your contractor will set up and administer the pressure test per the provided guidelines. Ross Valley Sanitary District will witness the test to confirm that your Private Sewer Lateral is without defect and has proper connections. 

Step 6. Pass the Pressure Test & Receive Your Certificate of Compliance

Once the District Inspector verifies that the Private Sewer Lateral has passed the pressure test, the Certificate of Compliance will be sent to the address listed on the permit or inspection paperwork.

Step 7. Complete the Sale

If you are selling a property, provide a copy of the Certificate of Compliance to the buyer before the title transfer. If you are buying a property, retain a copy of the Certificate of Compliance for your records.

Process complete!