Emergency Contact: (415) 259-2949
Protecting Public Health & The Environment

Certificate of Compliance - Remodels >$75,000

Guidelines for Compliance

Please see the guidelines below regarding how to receive a Certificate of Compliance  when remodeling in excess of $75,000 or adding a bathroom.  If you believe your property already has a Certificate of Compliance on file, please contact RVSD at (415)259-2949 or via e-mail.

Obtain a letter of compliance prior to the final inspection of any project by fixing the PSL, if necessary, and then having an RVSD Inspector witness the pressure test (using air or water).  The Certificate of Compliance must be submitted to the agency issuing your building permit prior to final sign-off, but PSL work can be done before, after, or during the building/remodeling work at your discretion.

Step 1.  Determine if the existing PSL is eligible for exemption

If the PSL was constructed or fully replaced AND passed final inspection by a District Inspector within the last 20 years, the PSL will be exempt from the pressure test.  To determine if your lateral is exempt, please contact the District at (415)259-2949 or e-mail us using this link.  Please be sure to include your name, contact information, full address of the property in question, parcel number (if available), and any information you may have that would lead you to believe the property may be exempt.  All of this information will help us when reviewing the District's records.  If the District is unable to provide an immediate answer, one will be provided within 2 business days.

Step 2.  Determine if the existing PSL is in compliance

Determine if the existing PSL meets the requirements of the Ordinance.  Hire a plumbing contractor to check for leaks and other defects.  Your contractor will advise you if work is needed for your PSL to pass the pressure test.  If not work is required, proceed to Step 5 below.

Note:  During the installation of new gas lines by Pacific Gas & Electric Company (PG&E), some private sewer laterals may have been pierced or completely bored through - known as a cross bore.  Underground Service Alert does not typically mark private sewer laterals and as a result, cross bores may go undetected, and if damaged create a potentially hazardous situation.  For gas line cross bore information, visit PG&E's website.  A review of a closed-circuit television (CCTV) inspection should also include looking for evidence of cross bore.  If you suspect a gas line cross bore, call PG&E at (800)743-5000.  If you suspect a gas leak, warn inhabitants, evacuate the area and call 911 and PG&E at (800)743-5000.

Step 3.  Obtain required permits

The District requires permits to be pulled for any PSL work.  Permits should be obtained prior to beginning any work.  Additionally, other agencies may require permits for the work being performed.  Please contact your local planning department to determine if they require permits for any portion of the work related to the PSL.

Step 4. Repair or replace the PSL

Your contractor will repair or replace the PSL in accordance with the District standards and permitting requirements and other local agency requirements.  If full replacement is needed, you may qualify for financial assistance through RVSD's Lateral Replacement Grant Program.

Step 5.  Schedule a PSL pressure test (or final inspection if related to a repair or replacement permit)

Contact the District at (415)259-2949 to schedule an appointment for a District Inspector to witness the pressure test that will be performed by your contractor and pay the required inspection fee.  It is likely that your contractor will make the arrangements in scheduling with the District.  This will be included as part of the final inspection if this is being done as part of a repair or replacement permit.

Note:  Your contractor will set up and administer the pressure test per the provided guidelines.  RVSD will witness the test to confirm that your PSL is without defect and has proper connections.

Step 6.  Pass the pressure test and receive your Certificate of Compliance

Once the District Inspector verifies that the PSL has passed the pressure test, the Certificate of Compliance will be sent to the address listed on the permit or inspection paperwork.

Step 7.  Complete the sale

If you are selling a property, provide a copy of the Certificate of Compliance to the buyer before the title transfer.  If you are buying a property, retain a copy of the Certificate of Compliance for your records.

Process complete!

Ross Valley Sanitary District
2960 Kerner Boulevard
San Rafael, CA 94901
- map
(415) 259-2949 - phone
(415) 259-2957 - fax
(415) 259-2949 - emergency
Emergency calls are dispatched immediately,
24 hours a day, 365 days a year

Copyright © 2017 Ross Valley Sanitary District
portal solution by Adammer